If you need a family law solicitor, then you’ll want to make sure that the one you choose is able to provide the service and outcome you need.
1. It’s important to establish why you need a family law solicitor. Getting divorced is different from wanting access to your grandchildren, or wanting to escape a domestic violence situation.
2. You’ll want to choose as solicitor that specialises in the area of family law that you need. You probably won’t get the best results from a divorce solicitor, if you want to know more about the legal aspects of moving in with your partner.
3. The purpose of instructing a family law solicitor is to get what you’re entitled to, or to find out more about the legal consequences of your actions. You’ll want to choose a knowledgeable solicitor that has plenty of experience in cases like yours.
4. You’ll want your solicitor to be able to get you the right outcome, no matter whether you’re about to embark on a civil partnership, or want to know more about whether you’ll have to sell your home if you get divorced. The right solicitor will be empathetic and understand what you’re going through, and what legal help and advice you need.
5. It’s important that you get on with your solicitor. You’ll probably be telling them lots of personal, or distressing information, and you want to know that you’ll be treated in the strictest of confidence, and that your solicitor is able to reassure you that they can help.
6. The reputation and results of your solicitor will be important. You won’t want to choose a solicitor that isn’t likely to get you the result you want, or can’t help you.
7. The solicitor you choose is likely to ask you a lot of questions. If they don’t ask, or seem to be preoccupied, then they might not be paying full attention, and might not treat your case with the professionalism you expert and deserve.
8. You won’t want to spend your time having to chase up your solicitor to find out where your case is up to. You’ll have plenty of things to worry about without you solicitor being one of them.
9. The amount of experience your family law solicitor is important too. Whilst in some cases you might just want to know where you stand, or what your options are. In other cases you might want to know how to deal with an unreasonable spouse, or what you can do to ensure that you can see your children or grandchildren in the event of a relationship breakdown.
10. Whilst you might be on a budget, or never in a million years expected to be in this position, you can’t choose your family law solicitor on cost alone. You’ll want the best service, and most appropriate solicitor for your situation. You might be at risk of losing your children, or having your home sold without your say so, or you might be at risk of serious injury from a violent partner. In these circumstances the cost is much less important than the outcome. You’ll want what’s best rather than trying to save a bit of money.
Now you know why having the right family law solicitor is so important, if you need legal help, you’ll be able to get the right solicitor.