Avoiding Immigration Trouble

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services is a busy agency. Hence, if you want to renew your work permit or status, you should do so at an early date. If your legal stay in the united states has an expiration date, work on its renewal to avoid problems with the immigration. Consider asking help from an immigration lawyer to help you with these concerns. There are a few options for you to avoid being chased by the immigration office.

Do not bring a resume.

Never bring anything that would make the border official think you are planning to stay for a very long time. If you are carrying an entry visa, just pack things that a regular entry visa holder would pack. Border officials are very cynical. They can send you back to your point of origin if they think you are being dishonest with your intended length of stay.

Inform the USCIS if you are changing your address.

People who are spending more than a month in the united states should notify the us Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, within 10 days prior to changing your address. Each non-citizen transferring from one address to another should send separate notifications. The “Form AR-11” is available on the USCIS website. Fill out this form and mail it to the USCIS. You can also change your address on the website itself.

Be on time.

If you have an appointment with the US Embassy or the USCIS, arrive on time. Otherwise, there will be a delay in processing and that could affect your stay in the country.

Understand the terms of your visa or work permit.

Your visa, work permit, or green card is not everything. Each one can make you stay in the united states legally, as long as you know the limitations of each one. For instance, if you are holding a tourist visa, you cannot be discovered working. If you do not follow the rules, you can be deported.

Have copies of documents you send to USCIS.

This government agency is notorious for losing documents. If you do not have your own copies of the documents you sent to the agency, you could be in trouble. Get your receipt when you file for petition. That receipt is a proof that you, indeed, filed for petition.

Get help.

Sometimes you are just having a vacation and then you are notified by the CIS for a certain problem. Your immediate recourse should be to call an immigration attorney. If you are facing an immigration case, it’s best to have a qualified legal representative as your defense.

Apply for citizenship.

Urge a family member who is already a US citizen to petition you. If you get petitioned, you become eligible to a green card. A green card is necessary for applying for citizenship, which will keep you from getting deported. Note that 5 years of being a green card holder is required before you can apply for citizenship.

Be a good citizen.

Once you have become a citizen of the country, you have to maintain a good standing. You should not be involved in any crime. Do not give the government an impression that you are a threat to security.